to any of the following categories:
Winter Fiction and Nonfiction Contest, with $5,000 in awards.
$4,000 Narrative Prize—for new and emerging writers
Story of the Week
Poem of the Week
Cartoons and Graphic Stories
We welcome submissions of previously unpublished manuscripts of all lengths, ranging from short short stories to complete book-length works for serialization. Narrative regularly publishes fiction, poetry, and nonfiction, including stories, novels, novel excerpts, novellas, personal essays, humor, sketches, memoirs, literary biographies, commentary, reportage, interviews, and features of interest to readers who take pleasure in storytelling and imaginative prose. We look for quality and originality of language and content. In addition to submissions for issues of Narrative Magazine itself, we also encourage submissions for our Story of the Week, literary contests, and Readers’ Narratives. Please read our Submission Guidelines for all information on manuscript formatting, word lengths, author payment, and other policies.
1. Arcpoetry magazine (ON), Poetry, reviews and essays on poetry
2. Ascent Aspirations Magazine. Short fiction, poetry, essays and art.
3. Contemporary Verse 2 (MB). Poetry, interviews, articles, essays, reviews and artwork
4. Existere : Journal of Arts and Literature (ON). Poetry, short fiction, non-fiction (articles, criticism, essays, reviews), and visual art.
5. Fiddlehead (NB). Short stories, poems, book reviews, and personal essays.
6. filling station (AB). Poetry, fiction, one-act plays, and essays.
7. Forget Magazine. Poetry, fiction, and essays.
8. The Globe & Mail (ON). Facts & Argumentsessays and Lives Livedessays
9. GutsMagazine ( literary essays and reviews, long-form journalism, interviews, fiction, and new media that further feminist correspondence, criticism, and community in Canada. Guts blog: Interviews, Personal Essays/Literary Reviews/Fiction, Politics, Pop Culture and Media Reviews, Series of essays or whatever. Submission guidelines here.
10. Malahat Review (BC) Fiction, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction. Pays $40 per page for personal essays or memoirs of 1,000 to 3,500 words.
11. Maisonneuve (QC). Poetry and short & long fiction, politics, essays, and humour.
12. paperplates (ON) Essays, memoirs, travel accounts, short stories, plays, poems, interviews, and reviews.
14. Prairie Fire (MB). Poems, stories, personal essays, and interviews.
14. RicePaper Online (BC). Poetry, short fiction, reviews, essays, interviews, and more.
15. Running, Canadian runners’ magazine (On) Personal Essays: The back page of the magazine features a first-person essay delving into a runner’s humorous or life-altering experiences in the sport. These are 500-650 words (and other kinds of pieces about running, of course). Submission guidelines here.
16. stonestone (BC). Poetry, poetic prose, experimental essay, and experimental prose.
17. Vallum: contemporary poetry (QC). Poetry, reviews, essays and interviews.
See Brian Henry’s schedule here, including writing workshops and creative writing courses in Algonquin Park, Barrie, Brampton, Burlington, Caledon, Cambridge, Collingwood, Georgetown, Guelph, Hamilton, Kingston, London, Midland, Mississauga, Newmarket, Niagara on the Lake, Orillia, Oakville, Ottawa, Peterborough, St. Catharines, Sudbury, Thessalon, Toronto, Windsor, Halton, Kitchener-Waterloo, Muskoka, Peel, Simcoe, York, the GTA, Ontario and beyond.