CD4026B and CD4033B each consist of a 5-stage Johnson decade counter and an output decoder which converts the Johnson code to a 7-segment decoded output for driving one stage in a numerical display.
These devices are particularly advantageous in display applications where low power dissipation and /or low package count are important.
Inputs common to both types are CLOCK, RESET, & CLOCK INHIBIT; common outputs are CARRY OUT and the seven decoded outputs (a, b, c, d, e, f, g). Additional inputs and outputs for the CD4026B include DISPLAY ENABLE input and DISPLAY ENABLE and UNGATED "C-SEGMENT" outputs. Signals peculiar to the CD4033B are RIPPLE-BLANKING INPUT AND LAMP TEST INPUT and a RIPPLE-BLANKING OUTPUT.
A high RESET signal clears the decade counter to its zero count. The counter is advanced one count at the positive clock signal transition if the CLOCK INHIBIT signal is low. Counter advancement via the clock line is inhibited when the CLOCK INHIBIT signal is high. The CLOCK INHIBIT signal can be used as a negative-edge clock if the clock line is held high. Antilock gating is provided on the JOHNSON counter, thus assuring proper counting sequence. The CARRY-OUT (Cout) signal completes one cycle every ten CLOCK INPUT cycles and is used to clock the succeeding decade directly in a multi-decade counting chain. The seven decoded outputs (a, b, c, d, e, f, g) illuminate the proper segments in a seven segment display device used for representing the decimal numbers 0 to 9. The 7-segment outputs go high on selection in the CD4033B; in the CD4026B these outputs go high only when the DISPLAY ENABLE IN is high.
The CD4026B- and CD4033B-series types are supplied in 16-lead dual-in-line plastic packages (E suffix), 16-lead small-outline packages (NSR suffix), and 16-lead thin shrink small-outline packages (PW and PWR suffixes).
Counters & Shift Registers
How it works – basic example
In a Shift Register the output of each flip-flop is connected to the input of the next flip-flop in the cascade. With each cycle of the connected clock, the bits are shifted down the cascade by one flip-flop.
- All Products
- Electronics Components, Power & Connectors
- Displays & OptoelectronicsDisplays & Optoelectronics
- Passive Components
- PCB Prototyping
- Power Supplies & TransformersPower Supplies & Transformers
- Electrical, Automation & Cables
- Automation & Control GearAutomation & Control Gear
- Cables & Wires
- Enclosures, Storage & Material HandlingEnclosures, Storage & Material Handling
- Fuses, Sockets & Circuit BreakersFuses, Sockets & Circuit Breakers
- HVAC, Fans & Thermal ManagementHVAC, Fans & Thermal Management
- Robots & Robot Parts
- Mechanical Products & Tools
- Abrasives & Engineering MaterialsAbrasives & Engineering Materials
- Adhesives, Sealants & TapesAdhesives, Sealants & Tapes
- Facilities Cleaning & MaintenanceFacilities Cleaning & Maintenance
- Fasteners & Fixings
- Plumbing & Pipeline
- Pneumatics, Hydraulics & Power TransmissionPneumatics, Hydraulics & Power Transmission
- IT, Test & Safety Equipment
- Computing & PeripheralsComputing & Peripherals
- Office Supplies
- Safety, Security, ESD Control & Clean RoomSafety, Security, ESD Control & Clean Room
- Test & Measurement
- Our Brands
- New Products
- My Account
- Our Services