Free Timed GRE Essays & Grading Service
The best preparation is practicing under real conditions.
Step 1. Click any of the 10 essay links below to start an essay question. You have 30 minutes (countdown clock has a pause feature).
Step 2. Your answer will be emailed to you after completion with an analysis of the essay question and sample essay answers from other students.
Step 3 . Essay Grading & Feedback Service
If you need individual feedback on your essay, order the 800score Essay Grading Service.
- Essay graders are graduates of top 20 U.S. universities.
- Grading includes comments on style, content and structure with constructive criticism.
- Grading and feedback sent within 72 hours.
- View sample Essay Feedback Report.
ISEE Practice Essay Topics
*ISEE is a registered trademark, which is not affiliated with this practice material.
Download ISEE Practice Tests
The ISEE essay requires students to write a descriptive essay in thirty minutes. The essay is not scored, but a copy of the writing sample is sent to the admissions officers of the schools to which the ISEE score report is sent.
- Follow directions! Make sure you rewrite the prompt on the top of the first page of your answer sheet.
- Budget your time! Make sure to save time at the end to edit for spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- ISEE Essays tend to be descriptive essays. A descriptive essay requires you to write about a person, place, thing, idea, or event in a way that makes it possible for your reader to properly visualize or understand it. You might be asked to offer your own definitions or explanations.
- Make sure your essay has a clear introductory paragraph, two or three body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph.
- While you will be asked to write about a specific topic, the topics themselves tend to involve broad subjects: books, school, community service, role models.
- Choose a subject that appeals to you.
- Choose subjects about which you know a great deal.
- Identify two or three important qualities about the subject you choose.
- Example: Two qualities of a good teacher are expertise and organization.
- Write about two or three reasons why you chose the subject you chose.
- My favorite author is William Shakespeare because he vividly recreates history and he writes humorously.
Here's a list of essay topics with which to practice: